Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Blind Date

I am going on a blind date tomorrow.

Yes. Laugh if you must. I will be meeting a fellow blogger. I better not mention her name here, in case she doesn’t want the fact be made public. After all we both have secret lives. If she doesn’t mind other people knowing that we are meeting, then she’ll do her own press conference.

I left my first comment on her spot only a couple of months back, 25th May to be exact. And I visited her quite often after that, not daily but at least once a week. And we got more and more comfortable leaving comments at each other’s blogspots as time goes by.

And then the bombing in London and I got worried about Kak Teh and so I gave her my handphone number. Kak Teh and her are related. And we discovered that we could chat real-time at Ely’s place (another great cyberbuddy). And so we chatted, and I started visiting her on a daily basis. We exchanged emails, our real names and even pictures. It just so happened that she works only sepelaung – a shout – away from my office. A meeting makes sense! Since I have gotten so comfortable with her and we chatted almost everyday, and we are so nearby, why not meet? Yes? No?

And so I am meeting her tomorrow.

Truth be told, I have NEVER been on a blind date.

And I am nervous.

Stage fright.

Do I have to live up to a certain image? I don’t start Anakikan with a specific image to potray. Readers form their own impression of me and if that is how others see me, fine by me, i guess. It isn’t deliberate, all this while, I have always been just myself. I have never lied in my postings (I AM Catwoman! I have two cats!). Will she like me just the same as she likes OOD? Do I have to crack jokes all the time and think up of clever conversations? Do I need to impress her? Maybe meeting her as Catwoman will do the trick, yes? What if we run out of topics to talk? Tomorrow is a long lunch, maybe it is a bit too ambitious to meet on a Friday lunch hour… Maybe I will bore her to death and she will just fall smack into her soup. That will be embarrassing (mental note, don’t let her order anything soupy). Maybe we should just buy gardenia buns yang lima posen tu and eat standing? Maybe I will have a colleague call me about half an hour after we meet so I could make up stories about how the mosque is waiting for me to give khutbah so I could make a quick exit?

If she is okay with eating gardenia buns standing then it will be easy. But what if she wants, proper lunch? Where to eat? Fast foods are usually the safest bet, but I don’t really fancy them. And she is on diet. I am not on diet (not that I don’t need to), and eating in front of a dieting person is as rude as eating with sound effects around muslims in fasting month. Maybe I will just drink diet coke while she nibbles on her no-dressing-please salad. Then we can both order chicken without the flesh and rice without the carbo and lotsa greens.

And then, biggest dilemma ever, whatta wear? Friday is a day of songket, says the First Lady. Maybe I will wear my pengantin attire. Yellow songket. But then must go find Master Ken Kenobi to do a neat sanggul. But wait a minute, she might think I am desperate to impress her. Should not over do it. Must jual mahal a bit also. Maybe I should just go in jeans and hardrock black tee with the dragon. So she will think that I am cool and not the slightest bit affected and that I do this all the time, and hey, c to the o to the o to the elle, cool man.. That will make me seem younger too, maybe will get about 20% discount on the age. So she will not accidentally call me makcik. God forbids!

Should I get her anything? Like a friendship plastic band from McD that says, ‘Grow Up Not’, it is only RM2.90 I think with a Value Meal. Very much affordable. Maybe I should get her five of those, different colours of course. Ten also can! Cannot be more than ten because we don’t want her to think that I am hitting on her.

And conversation topics! I will perhaps pack a few things, like family albums and favourite books and all that. That cant possibly fail. I can talk about my childhood non-stop for a few days. That settles it.

But hey, wait a minute… wait a minute! What if she is not the person that she described herself to be in her blogspot. What if she really is a he, or a serial rapist? What if she is really after my money, yes all my fifty ringgit?

Looks like I have to be up real early tomorrow morning, to do my hair, nails and make-up.

And bring pepper-spray just in case.

Ely, you said you would give tips on how to meet cyber friends?!

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

psssttt..I know this gal and can give u some tips:

1. she will NOT be on diet tomorrow and I promise u, will muntah darah if u suggest a fastfood place. In fact she's convinced that her body fat has become so keras, no point to diet anymore! But be nice, say that she's lost weight despite not having seen her before. It's ONLY polite.

2. if u'r Catwoman it's ok, she thinks she's Superwoman. You two would click and can exchange stories about saving the world and gossip about Superman, Batman and Robin.

3. If u think she'll buy that khutbah masjid story, think again, she's been there and done that. Think of somethin' else!

4. If she's angry/fascinated/overwhelmed/tickled to bits, she says "DUCK"...don't ask why..it is just so.

5. You're wearing yr wedding dress too? Wow! You two think alike already..she sent hers to the dry cleaners yesterday! But only the kain..the top cannot wear. you know whylah.

6. If u'r getting the McD bracelets, find earings to match. She's SOOOO into those, esp the loopy and dangly types..and all the colours please..

7. Forget the pepper spray, she;s only planning to be a serial rapist in her next life. For now, u are ok!

8. Don't bother with the hair and make-up.. She won't notice..she's very blur.. Apparently, blurness runs in the family!

9. don't lose sleep over it. she ain't the queen lah!

although I hear, you are? :p

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya Allah, loratnya..relaks le beb. The very least you could feign that you have stomachache and then cabut ikut tingkap le...

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who..ahh? Rasa-rasanya ....aaaaa dah tau dah. Kirim salam ye..
Have a nice date .

1:48 AM  
Blogger hana_kirana said...

Eayy, ask me la. I had almost 10 experiences on blind date. Same sex, opposite sex, all got one.

Ask la, ask la.


:P

Oh, nampaknya akak anendara telah pun memberi nasihat yang sewajarnya... :D

1:48 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

oody, lagi u mention nama i, dah i kena pressure to write abt it hehehe.

ok i have that in mind. i will post abt it soon ok.

sambil tuh, besok punya blind date, dont worry, this lady wont bite...hard!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

What do you mean she doesn't bite? I can show you scars that can make you run miles, and make the bravest of men cry, and the strongest of women go on their knees! What do you think happened to Rafidah (re: front page of the newspapers recently) - those full red lips quivering quite grotesquely - not the issues of the APs certainly!
should ask me first lah, my cats are still shaking at the mention of her name!

10:59 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

ananda anedra,
thank you for the advice. But 9 only. People always give ten! Are you with-holding information from me? Wonder what the tenth one is. I will print the list and bring to the date, ok? ;o)

Anonymous,
lari ikut tingkap? I think if i say i have ceretberet the hershey squirt type, she will ditch me out from her car before i even sempat clamber out from the tingkap..

Mrs amd,
i will be meeting her in 15 minutes. Sempat lagi nak cancel kan? :o)

Hana,
dont give advice only, must sit down and write proper ethics, so no one will overdo it. Like people on blind dates must wear green shirts, black shoes and white socks. Must wear dark ray ban and hold a stalk of rose. (actally all my attire for today, hehe)Like that lah. Later you teach me. I just regard today's date as full-dress rehearsal only. Can?

Ummi, did you get my email?
No problem, if i survive today, we'll meet. Cakap mesjid hari jumaat punya ni!

Ely,
you write about what's TO DO and i will write about what NOT TO DO. After today, i probably will have a list of blunders! hehe

Kak Teh,
you should have warned me earlier. Nasi almost menjadi bubur, we are meeting in 15 mnutes! I just put on firetruck red lipstick, when my lips quiver with emotion later, i will have them nicely photographed for front page of harakah. Okay?

So people,
i am off to meet her.
I have practiced (infront the mirror) the whole of last night on my speech about the eastern economics and i have also practiced my eat-fire-fart-fire act for emergencies.
I will meet her at crowded places and never leave my drinks unattended, lest she spikes it. If you dont hear from me in 24 hours, do notify the SWAT team and divide my harta all in the kepok to both my children.

Wish me safety ya?

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jelesnye!!!ood tak nak jumpa kit puuuunnn...takmo kawan la camni..

11:34 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

so, how? you still have any fingers left to blog?

11:44 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

va va va...so who's the ratu kebaya today?

tell tell tell...how did it go?

11:49 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

nefertiti,
u over there i over here? how? but i'd love to meet u (mental note: must get SB police friends to check on this one first)

kak teh,
i am typing menggunakan dagu dan gigi.. with utmost difficulty.

nazrah,
will cerita, but tunggu my tak puashati subside dulu. I ordered spaghetti and she ordered pizza. Belakang when they send spaghetti, SHE TOOK IT! She makan MY spaghetti! And she had the gall to say, 'i makan dulu ye'.. sheeeesh! I had to make do with the pizza!

I need to calm down first, sheesh!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ood, in the midst of burning your cd nih..but still dowan to friend you lah..will send you the cd, though..

12:01 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

hari jumaat-jumaat ni tipu dosa. be nice, I know all yr secrets now! hehehe!

it was fun, we must do lunch again! and I'll eat YOUR spaghetti again!!

12:21 AM  
Blogger iJun said...

if there's anyone that should be dating it should be me!

1:14 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

nefertiti hayohh,
friend lah... you friend me i give you the mcD band. friend ok?

anedra,
i should have pepper-sprayed you for that!

Ijun,
yes, you must.

1:30 AM  
Blogger shidah said...

where eat? sounds good! california pizza kitchen?

2:31 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

ijun, (tumpang lalu OOD) you date me tak cukup ke? yang pi mawar dulu tak kira ke?

3:05 AM  
Blogger iJun said...

3 jam je mana cukuppppppp!! hehe

6:29 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

OOD, must blog on the sequel of the blind date OK, every single detail, no hide hide OK. You girls seemed to have lots of fun. Best lah. I have already make a blind date with Ayu narfy to eat Mee Udang, but still yet to come since she has to come back to Penang First.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waaaah everybody's dating huh? ha ha ha i have only dated 1 blogger and dono whether i want to date more, so traumatic one the experience...

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ada petik gambar tak? Nak tengoooook!! Evidence!! Kebaya, wedding gown, McD's bracelets and all... :D

11:47 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

kak teh & ijun,
amboeyyyyyyieeee, date sampai 3 jam! Sempat berlari dan bergolek over 18 tamil songs tu!

AuntyN,
i have survived her, so lepas ni any blind dates dah tak susah lah kot... date me lah jugak. Dowan just any mi udang, i want YOUR mi udang.. and durian, and lempok.

kakak si ananda,
wuiyo.... anedra hantar kakak dia check on me? Tobat kak, saya tak usek adik kakak!

hartini,
takde gambar lah... eh, jom lah bergebang at ely's kedai kopi. Order secawan but can duduk lama2, she doesnt mind one!

EH,
come gebang come!

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home