Saturday, December 17, 2005

Buns in the Oven

Sun’s birthday was on 29th Nov. Slightly a week after that, Yamtuan’s birthday. Two weeks after that, mine. Soon after mine will be Dot’s. Birthdays! Birthdays!

And so last Friday, I turned 35. Just like whoever said 'beauty is within' can only be ugly, the same rule applies for the saying, 'age is just a number', can only be 30 and above. So I am telling you now, I may be 35 but 3 and 5 are mere numbers. Don’t mean much to me so mustn’t mean anything at all to you too, yes? Yes? And at 35, my beauty shines from within my intestines.

I have only been married for 4 years. The first year, Yamtuan said himself was the birthday gift. The second year, it was Dot and the third year Sun became his gift. This year, Yamtuan ran out of people to give me for my birthday. And no, i am not pregnant. So, no choice but for him to hit the stores. My first non-human birthday gift. Yey! Not that Yamtuan, Dot and Sun did not make the best of gifts. I do love em! An awful lot too!

Yamtuan went shopping for my gift maybe more than two weeks before the date. Him being him, he was SO excited about it that he pestered me everyday to open the gift. He has always been lousy at keeping secrets. But i said no, dont tell me dont give me until Dec 16th. How else could i make him squirm and itch? Biar pecah di perut, jangan pecah di mulut..

On the morning of my birthday, when it was still dark outside, and Yamtuan's self-restraint could not tahan anymore, he made me unwrap the gift. He practically begged me to please please please open it. I wanted to make him wait till after work, but well, maybe not, that would be too cruel for him.

I opened the gift, huge box, heavy like mad!

And it was….. an oven. Yes. An oven, ladies.

“because you like cooking!” he said, all excited.
“can bake ayam golek now!” I tried auntyN’s and Kak Teh’s recipe but I had to cut the chicken because mine was an oven toaster not proper oven. So the ayam did not tergolek la. Couldnt call it ayam golek.
“I chose this one because it looks so classic! I actually wanted to get you the cap rama-rama one like my mom’s but could not find lah”
“so you like or not?”
“can now bake kek pisang too. I like kek pisang!”

So that is my Yamtuan. Ever practical, not the most romantic guy on earth, but he loves me... err, at least my cooking. And although sweating over the oven baking ayam golek and kek pisang for him is not exactly sexy and hot, i sure hope that it will lead to more action and excitement at the dinner table.

A well-fed man is after all…emmm, a happy man? Yes?

25 Comments:

Blogger atiza said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ood..True enuf age is just number..add both numbers you're still 8 years old..and 8 is 'ong' for Chinese..getting you the oven is 'ong' for Yamtuan. He can get ayam golek and whatnots before and ... after!

*heheh*

7:23 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

OOD! Maybe next year your YM will give you another human present? Ahaa!

You don't look a day over 20. Honest.

1:23 PM  
Blogger anggerik merah said...

Dear Odd, happy belated b'day. May Allah bless you with good health, happiness and prosperity. HUGGG..

4:07 PM  
Blogger MA said...

Happy Birthday !

I got a TV for my birthday once. Ended up he watches it more often than I do.

It's the thought that counts.

And the numbers don't matter.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

i know what you did on your birthday - during lunchtime! I have powerful teropong! and then somebody paid - pretended to go to toilet etc! and then somebody couldn't wait, called me immediately after lunch.
Happy birthday.

11:56 AM  
Blogger dith said...

Happy Birthday! Yes 35 are just numbers, dont worry! I am 43 but the numbers also dont mean anything. Wait till we're 83, insyallah if we live that long, then perhaps the numbers would start to mean something! heheh.

My hubby and daughter say I am not romantic. Coz each time hubby buys expensive perfume or something ot to my liking as presents, I'd nag him off saying it's not worth it. I'd prefer if he gave me the money and I go out and get something I'd appreciate more....How evil can I be eh?

4:34 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

atiza,
i have made Yamtuan promise that he would let me shop for the oven. I need all the mangkuk for casserole, pie etc kan? How to bake without the tools? The golek-golek after the ayam golek? Ssshhh...

*hehehe*

Maya,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Today 19th kan? And you dont look older than me at all! I swear!

Anggerik merah,
thank you! Thank you! I thank God for a lot of things, you are one reason.

Mak Andeh,
Thank you!
yes, it is the thought that counts, and yes, i have been meaning to buy an oven myself... hmmm (through gritted teeth) But a tv would definetely be worse! ;o)

Kak teh,
thank you!
that lunch is a whole blog-piece by itself. And you skodeng ya?

Thank you!

4:39 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

darling, the gift was symbolic!! sure, he wants u to bake ayam golek and all, but he's also saying, TIME TO BAKE some other stuff!

Anyways, love u darling and trust me to forget yr birthday prezz. Am thinking of buying u oven mitts now. You want? What colour?

And, as Maya says, you dont look a day over 20. HONEST *with very very straight and serious face!!*

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOOD...

hehehhe Many Happy Returns dear... we sooo gotta meet, mine was on the 7th ari tu .. :-) no wonder la you oso fellow lilliput-ian huh :-P ...
wat a practical fellow yamtuan is... i have been hinting my hubs since october that i need a new phone. (an N90 ..which might be the reason he deliberately never got the msg :-P) ...
Well dear, wishing you load and loads of happiness .. :-)

7:16 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Dr House
3543,4383.. waaa, can buy damchai and toto lah. Kalau kena, can buy MORE ovens!

Being romantic is not very practical actually. I mean, he could have bought me roses and then what? The most i could do is eat them petals kan? Now CASH is something else. Can i give you his email address so you can nag him about giving me cash present?

ummi,
ok lah ok lah, you have guessed my deepest darkest secret, i AM 17. So now we still friend friend or not? I want to thank you for lunch, but not here.

Anedra Makcik,
whoa girl! What a swell idea, wear oven mittens ONLY and bake away! Tralalala!
*Waaah your face so straight so serious one ya?*

Ariel,
yey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO!!
I have decided that all sagittarians are COOL people (despite coming from Serendah).
Let us entice Anedra to return to civilisation for lunch. What say you?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Oh Ya, the way to a man's heart is through his tummy. Must be a Malay who coined that term because to most Malays (I know) food is ever important. You don't feed your man right, you no good :)

Let me see, I have received a microwave, vacuum cleaners, blenders, sewing machine, and various appliances, all very romantic (heheh) from the KOTH for various reasons ... all very practical, all guaranteed to make me do more work around the house. Very exciting!

Before I forget : HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, Ood.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fellow friends,

DO NOT BELIEVE OOD when she says that she had turned 35. She is 17. Lucky her, jealous me! She is so pretty, bubbly and most wonderful of friends.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Jo Kontan said...

Happy Belated Besday Oood,

I still dun get it.?? Oven IS a Perfect Birthday Present. He he.

I nearly gave Maam a Bowling Ball, but thinking she does not bowl, I refrain my excitement.

Way To Go Yamtuan. :-))Oh, BTW happy belated besday too. And Sun.

1:06 AM  
Blogger SimplyMas said...

Happy Belated Birthday To You Kak OoD! Age is just numbers! Bet you're still sweet 16 at heart kan? Enjoy the OVEn!!!!

7:00 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

OOD, sorry terlepas dah ni, Tapi did Dena give you the hug I kirim? I also know what you did during lunch but I just kept quiet coz I was jeleous, SO duduk diam diam je lah.

Anyway Happy 35th Birthday. Lots of hugs from me OK.

At least you got your present during or before the date, With my hubby, after the nagging and LOOOOOONG after the date. Sometimes need to remind him on the very day it was my birthday huhuhu

4:03 PM  
Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

hallo gang oven,

happey berthday!
kalau anedra dgn oven mittennya..

i sponsor glo (sehingga menciutkan!)..untuk cuci dulang pembakar..heheh

5:22 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

aaaawww happy birthday my sweet Oody! so now can bake cake for me when i go to singapore? bring the cake for me to eat hehehe

love u!!!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hepi besday oody. 35? oooo now i know for sure we can be bosom buddies, hugs

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeay! can serve me a mean choc cake lah tak lama lagi..
*clap clap*

nef

9:11 PM  
Blogger AuntieYan said...

Lo.......Odd sudah 35 tawon?

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, MAY ALLAH BLESS YOU!

...so, now busy memasak? Yamtuan should be smiling broadly...;-)

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday kak ood!

kalau saya dapat oven tu, tido peluk oven je la jawab nya..heheh..best2..bole masak macam!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Justiffa said...

hi OOD - happy belated 35th birthday.... still lots of time to bake 'buns' if you chose to lol. bila dah 44 like me better to tunggu cucu jer la :) and my hubs pun camtu gak, not a romantic bone in his body. nasib baik la i have enough for 2 kalau tak hancus heheh.

wishing u n urs a blessed new year!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Ood.

Ohh no worries, your hubby is not the only one yang tak romantic. *wide grin*

.MM

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realized how much i missed reading your blog until now... sorry it's been a while since i was here >_< never fails to make me grinning non-stop in front of the pc :)

i guess here's where the saying it's the thought that counts eh? an oven sounds like a wonderful gift to me... err.. because at least i know i can bake!

Happy Birthday :)

4:39 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

ehen - i think the bun is overcooked - so time to update!

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home