Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Phlegm ~ Day 1

I wanted to take the afternoon off to take Sun to see his paed. His cough and cold were getting more than just worrying. He had become very subdued, listless and quiet. He did not want to play, he would not even attempt a smile. He refused food and would only take the breast. He couldn’t rest well because the cough was really bothering him. I could practically hear phlegm gargling inside his chest with every cough and breath.

My boss had other plans for me. I couldn’t leave early and so I asked Yamtuan to bring Sun by himself.

Yamtuan called me sometime after 4.30. He told me that the paed found little Sun’s chest actually ‘bloated’ with trapped air. The air that he breathed in was not breathed out properly. The x-ray that they took showed a dark patch in the lower part of his left lung. He MUST be warded, said Dr Mary.

‘can you take a cab straight to the hospital? Sun wants milk and I will need to leave soon to pick up Dot from school.’

And so I texted my boss saying that I really must rush and was soon by the roadside. And texted Anedra and my sister too, to tell them the news.

None of the taxis that stopped would want to go to PJ.
‘that area traffic bad lah’
‘I only go komuter station and here’
‘too far lah, sorry’
‘PJ cannot, sungai buloh can’
‘I only go to the Mines’
‘fifty ringgit can?’
‘fifty ringgit lah?’
‘I don’t have fifty ringgit right now. Must go bank first. Use meter lah’
‘aiyo, nobody uses meter lah’
etc etc

I was on the verge of tears. I was feeling like the lousiest mom on earth. I was angry at myself for forgetting to go MEPS this morning, for letting Sun be that sick, for not having him insured, for not being able to drive, for working so far away from the children, for being so inadequate and ill-prepared for emergencies such as this!

I called an uncle who lived nearby. The wife answered.
‘Mak Uteh kat ofis lagi ni’ (her office in KL, so cant help)
‘Pak Uteh outstation kat Sabah’ (definitely can't be of help)

And I cried. And cursed myself.

And Anedra called. It just so happened that she could leave office early that day, and that her husband was away so she did not have to rush home.

‘let me send u there’ she said.

On any other day, I would have declined. Her house was so not ‘on the way’. It would be a far detour and the traffic was not gonna be kind either. What with the weekend traffic and after-office rush…

I met her through the internet. I have only known her for a few months. I have only met up with her twice, each time for lunch. But despite all the cyberness, I do regard her as a very very good friend, but even that was no excuse to be a trouble to her. But I was desperate.

She picked me up by the roadside and rushed me to PJ. The traffic WAS bad and I gave WRONG instructions, but I was there right in time for when Sun woke up and cried for sustenance.

Anedra, when one day you are in need, for anything at all, a cup of sugar or asam kunyit or nail polish of certain shades and gloss, or the lions in the zoo were too noisy 'at it' and you want someone to shut them up -permanently, or whatever (so long as it doesn’t require me to drive), you MUST let me have the honor of being the one you turned to for help. You must. I shayang you, okay? And, because we friend friend I dedicate the song ‘Ben’ by Mike Jack to you (not that I think u are a rat). ‘ you my friend will see, you’ve got a friend in me’. Hehehe..

I don’t want to say thank you with all the sincerity of my heart for it would only embarrass you. You know like the scene in maybe Seri Mersing, after yum yum Nordin Ahmad saved the damsel in distress from crooks who always got turned on by women washing clothes by the river clad in kembans, and she thanked him profusely with fluttering eyelid?

He would heroically brush it off with, ‘janganlah berterima kasih kepada hamba. Sememangnya sudah menjadi tanggungjawab hamba membantu mereka yang dalam kesusahan. Hamba tidak mengharap apa-apa sebagai balasan. And by the way, are you free for some moonlight rendezvous behind the cengkih estate? I will bring the sirehs and pinangs, you bring the kapur and gambir.’ and she would giggle and run away, oh clutching dearly that wet kemban, aiyoh so coy can die. So no no no Anedra, I will spare you from having to serenade me. But do keep on practicing. You know you need it.

And then all throughout my hospital days, I received calls and smses from Maya, Kak Teh and Ely (through Anedra). People, you know that all those kind words and wishes and doas helped? I read and re-read them and it gave me such comfort . Friendship tested and proven.

So, Anedra, Kak Teh, Maya, Ely, Nazrah and all well-wishers, do terima my humble kasih.

Thank you God! In the ambiguity of internet, I found this treasure chest full of gems!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Makcik kayo! Makcik kayo!

14 Comments:

Blogger nae said...

Hope your son feel better now and glad you have a friend when really in need. Treasure it dear, coz its not something that money can buy

6:59 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

aiyoh, like the hero said "janganlah berterima kasih kepada hamba" just take me for lunch some day ok?? anyways, i enjoyed the car ride, company and all.
remember what you said about how tinted the car is?? and what I could do in it?? hahaha!! have told N, he thinks it's A PLAN, girl! yay!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

ood, so u got my sms? I thought u didnt and so sorry for not being around. but i know anedra, flat tone or not, will be there. take care. We meet up in november, okay?
meanwhile take care of the babies.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kak ood,

patut la lama tak update, sungguh ternanti-nanti saya di sini. sun camne? ok dah? harap everything ok by now...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been a while since I bloghop. Just heard about Sun . So sorry , hope he get well pretty soon . My son have the same problem when he's only 9 mths old . Memang sedih dan takut giler . My hearts goes out to you .Hugs & Kisses .

10:21 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Hi Nae,
just came back from your House.
The kid is so much better now and eats a lot too. you know i still cant get over the fact that i found genuine friends from here... i am so lucky.

anedra,
ah tuan hamba sangat merendah diri. kajang pak malau kajang berkajang, nanti kita makan sate kajang di kajang ya?
the car thing, should have done it time merdeka, you know, rocking fireworks in your eyes, casablanca style... perh.. (tell me exact location and time ya?)

KJ Ummi,
penat tak rasa when son is happy again. Biar kita sakit 10 kali, jangan anak sakit 1 kali, kan?
Thanks KJ, you are a gem too. I know, by now, i am a manikam.

Kak Teh,
i replied your sms. Oh no, did i press 'send' or not? Thanks kak teh! You are coming back for raya? Goody!!! If i tukar langsir baru, will you come for raya?

Maya,
thanks a lot. I will remember to dosai my son like you do yours. And maybe i should take crash course from you on how to do it right. Tell me when is safe, i dowan to be near your doc son. Dowan to kena shelling!!

Nazrah,
thanks for the doas. I must now read more about little lungs, and pneumonias. Are you still in town?

10:21 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

nohachomel,
dia dah ok dah. Batuk lagi tapi dah tak demam, tidur lena, makan pon banyak. Alhamdulillahhh!!! Bertambah2 uban dek risau! Terima kasih!


mrs amd,
my sun is 9 months old! How old is your kid now? Berulang tak? The experience was so scary. I kept praying to Him, dont take my son, dont take my son. And i couldnt sleep, every hour bangun and check to see if he was still breathing. Ish.... scary! Thanks for the doas.
*hugs back*

10:26 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

OOD, ever try homeopathy? My eldest dot had lots of phlegm in her lung when she was a toddler, SIL advised to seek homeopathy treatment. Alhamdulillah, she never had any such problem after that until now (she is 18 this year). The phlegm couldn't all come out from the lung and cause the weazing.
Hope sun is doing much better right now.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry i read this waaaay late, i hope yr Sun is better. yes Anedra is a gem and so are the rest

1:18 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

OOD,

Yes you DOWAN to hear what my son would say.. "What were you waiting for woman, all that sound in his chest! You waiting to hear the philharmonic band booming in his chest before you can decide it's bad and the poor baby needs attention????" . This would be accompanied by a humongous frown and a look that would shrivel you to a tiny prune. BUT you will never ever forget it for the rest of your life.

DUnno where he got that from. I am very sweet person. :) You take care fo yourself too and yes we shall meet soon.

2:43 AM  
Blogger Awang Goneng said...

I'm very, very sorry. And however belatedly, I wish you and your Sun and family well. Good to hear you got help from Anedra (she's a gem, isn't she?) and that all the others came rallying. I lived most of my early life in KL battling with cab drivers. Why, only yesterday, in a short journey from there to there, I was lecturing one of them on the decency of knowing the route you're plying, if not the entire KL. He - bless him - cutely smiled. (I knew in his head he thought I was, er, gaga). Which I am. Yours truly...

11:29 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

auntyn,
tak pernah try homeopathy. Ikut theorinya macam logik lah. Will try it. Thanks auntie gem.

atn,
she is. I donno whether i terbuat what she did should the role be reversed. Kalau cerita dragonball, she would be able to ride the 'awan guling' easily for having such a mulia heart! hehe.. and yes, the rest pon. Amazing the people i meet through here!

maya!!!
i cringe in fear and shame to even hear you do miming of your doc son. Yes, i am baffled too, dont know where he could possibly get that ya? And you so sweet ya? Bizarre!
Hehehe...
thanks maya
*love*

tuang AG,
i had one rude cab driver who refused to use the meter, lectured me why i must always pick him. He said, the indians will use the cab money to buy toddy, the chinese will use it to play judi, but HE will use it to naik haji! hahaha... hilarious dont you think?

thanks Tuang, your family is amazing!

All of you can ride on the awan guling easily (dragonball).

10:00 PM  
Blogger shidah said...

OOD: punya la lama tak masuk sini, I am sorry to hear the news. Hopefully Sun sudah kicking again! Anedra, u're such a dear.

10:09 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

shidah,
dia okay dah. Thank you very much. Risau kan anak masuk wad. You ve been there, you understand. thanks.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home