Thursday, December 18, 2008

Peyu btlor

I went to Kuala Terengganu the other day. By road. No, Yamtuan drove, I didn’t get to.

Geography has never been my best subject and so when I was asked to go KT, instead of flying I said to Yamtuan, let’s all go, let’s take a drive along the East Coast of Malaysia for the heck of it. After Awang Goneng’s rendition of the state, I have become hopelessly romantic about it. I imagined people walking aroung in kaing ssahang and songket, and they would all be speaking a language that I wouldn’t understang. I have never been to Terengganu and it would be my birthday too so let’s go, I said. Reluctantly, Yamtuan agreed.

And so we packed the car and started on the long journey to Kuala Terengganu. Man, I didn’t know Kuala Terengganu would be THAT far. It was SO VERY far. Very very far. If the earth was flat, then it would be at the very edge of it. Another step further and we would fall down into nothingness. THAT kind of far. We set out at 9 am and we reached Primula Beach Resort of Kuala Terengganu at 5pm! It was like a day at the office, only worse because we were all cooped up in the car. Cabin fever of the highest degree. By the time we reach KT, all of us were ready to slit each others’ throat. Yes. THAT bad.

And it rained incessantly too.

The kids took naps after naps after naps and everytime they woke up they would ask me, why was I taking them to a hotel that far away?

Sun looked up to his sister. To him, Dot was the coolest, cleverest chick ever. He wanted to kill time and tried to get English lessons from his sister.

What’s the English word for ‘posmen’? Sun asked.
Postman jugak. Dot answered.
Bukanlah, Postman Pat lah, Sun insisted. Thank you ASTRO Ceria.
What’s the English word for ‘payung’?
Umbrella, Dot answered, now rather impatiently. We were all bored and restless and tired.
What’s English for ‘hujan’?
Cinderella.

Kesian my Sun kena kelentong with the sister.

After many rounds of English lessons, kelentongs, naps, yellings and fights we finally arrived at KT. Had bed sore all over our bums too!

Managed to eat nasi dagang everyday, but I saw no one walking aroung in sarong. I didnt get to see penyu laying eggs too. But i get to hold horse-shoe crab. My first. Awesome alien like creature. Blue blood too. Absolute-WOW. Terengganu is as beautiful as i imagined it would be. Beautiful and a soothing balm to KL-tainted souls. Only why does it have to be so far? Can someone please move the state nearer to where i live, just slightly after Gombak would be nice.

We are back in KL now after 3 days there. Just now I YM-ed Yamtuan, I said let’s go umrah. He said, can, so long as you don’t ask us to go by road.

No, Sir, never againg.

13 Comments:

Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

Hahaha..Hujan? Cinderella.

Like mother like dot.

Nak buat camno, kuah Gulai Ikan Tongkol (Aya) tumpah ke nasi dagang.

Hehehe...btw..dah start promo next library project - target buat 2 buah at least.

4:29 PM  
Blogger noha chomel said...

hahahah...terengganu sebelah gombak?...best...best...tak yah jauh2 nak pg pasar payang ;P

6:37 PM  
Blogger Roti Kacang Merah said...

YES please, Ganu sebeloh KL! especially part-part yang sepanjang pantai!

reading through your journey, i cannot imagine how my siblings and I managed to survive those 10-12 hour journeys from JB to KB at least once a year for 5 years some 20-odd years ago.

what i can still remember though, was how my dad added-up a pelantar kayu siap ada tilam nipis kat belakang our isuzu trooper, so that two (or 3 out 4) of us siblings can sleep and berbaring-baring on it at one time; the heaps of magazines my dad will buy me to keep my company in the car; my walkman and throngs of cassettes, also my parents yang dok melayang kami menukar-nukar cassettes on the car player.

God, how on EARTH we survived. mind you, masa tu dari JB ke KB kami hanya ada jalan yang sangat berbelok-belok, tau. Dengan adik pompuan aku yang bermuntah-muntah lagi. she would only stop puking when the sights of the blue sea in Pahang & Ganu started to appear, which calmed her down. such memories. heh.

7:54 PM  
Blogger dith said...

You all took 8 hrs?? Lemme see, KL- Ktn 2.5 hrs, Ktn - KT 3.5 hrs, add up jadi 6 hrs....why 2 hrs longer? Hehe...Anyway, glad you enjoyed KT and that the trip propelled you to go for umrah. Alhamdulillah.

So bila nak gi Umrah? :))

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12212221
2445115105

3:31 AM  
Blogger tajudin said...

mu pi kempen ke? kempen untuk nenek tu ye...?

4:44 PM  
Blogger MA said...

Ood - when I took the Brood for the first time gi Ganu, I berhenti kat Rantau Abang konon nak tengok penyu bertelur. Habuk tarak. Patung penyu batu - adalah. But then the people there told me of a turtle conservation kat Cherating (same turn off ke Club Med) - you should take your kids there. Boleh main-main dengan anak penyu..


I like Tganu too esp the coastal road but like you said, jauh bebenor.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jo Kontan said...

Madam Oooody,

May I say this.

I think Yamtuan is ManUltra. He didn't let u near his steering wheel, let alone drive his car...

He he..

Just like me..

Ganu is soothing.
Pasar payang is nostalgic.
Dok hujang poooong....

But None of ma kids adventurous enough to taste the tlor peyu..

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy, Kak Maya,

apa khabar? daku merinduimu. dah lama tak komen kat sini. being a silent reader for a while. thanks for still updating your blog with funny stories which I always looking forward to. oh btw, saya telah menanda (tagged) anda. harap maklum. :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Desert Rose said...

Sis,

Go 4 Umrah by road would be fascinating, d only thing is by d time u sampai dah masuk musim haji hu hu hu...

I dah experienced doh gi Ganu by road wduring my sister wedding. I nag hera all d way sb kawing ngan org Ganu. I told her MIL, mOK cIK , NI LAH KALI PERTAMA DAN TERAKHIR saya datang umah mak cik ni, jgn kecik hati ye, kalau mak cik rindu ke saya, datang la rumah, dak pung mak cik pindah le sebeloh rumah saya....tobat.

12:48 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

OI tuan dokter,
apa pulak like me? Have i ever kelentong-ed you? Maybe only 759 times, but that doesnt indicate kuah ikang tongkol sudah spill tau. Hish apa makan tumpah tumpah ni...

i owe u some RM. Nanti will do the necessary :)

noha comelote,
hari tu, kawe tak sempak ke pasar payang pong.
Adakah bahasa malaysia untuk pasar payang = pasar payan?

Roti Kacang Merah,
your adik pompuan should have joined my club. At 23, i still got car-sick, can muntahantahbelilah for the short and straight journey from ITM to Subang Parade. Every roundabout would be enough to make me sing into a plastic bag.
10-12 hour journey would make me puke myself thin (not that its a bad idea).

DITH,
from KL to Kuantan okay
Kuantan to Kuala Timbuktu was not okay.
The umrah came about after we visit Tamang Tamadung Islam. I so longed to go see the rock that wanted to go Isra' Mikraj.

anonymous,
pandainyiea

YB Kuding,
pegi camping ke pegi kempeng? Bunyi sama je kat sana.

MA,
i have established rapport with UMT, their marine school is neck-deep literally in penyu conservation. next time they do the marking, counting, tagging all, i hope to tag along too. And this time, i will FLY.
MA, dah ada lesen tak drive jugak. I really should go Daytona kan?

Bro Jo (i tot Johari tau...),
Yamtuan said, not because dia sayang kereta but because dia sayang bini, how?
i tried telur penyu when i was a kid and i thought it tasted like liquid salted egg. EEeuwww..

hana,
16 random things? Hmmmm....
thanks for visiting, chickaroo! Glad you still blog. You are like a sitcom, providing continuous laughter for me ;)
Uh, and i am proud of you too. Birm? ooooooooo

Desert Rose,
i thot my sister had it bad for marrying orang Arau. I know now she could have done worse.
All this while i tot Malaysia is small. Now i know better.
Jauh mung!
i oso tobat nasoha.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Iron Butterfly said...

nowadays 10 hours trip back to KB is nothing to me and my sisters. we got used to it. sampai rumah bukan tido terus, terus keluar pergi pasar ramadhan. huehue.

i think a lot of Kelantanese got used to the travelling. KT is considered faster because they can use the Lebuhraya Pantai Timur. We don't.

Maklumlah kitorang kerajaan Hijau, Kerajaan Biru dengki so taknak sambung the highway walaupon sumer orang bayar cukai jalan, cukai pendapatan and segala other taxes. huehue.

7:56 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Oh Iron Butterfly,
i know you are used to it having frequented the route. But i cringe to think of the journey. I do hear that it is much worse than the drive to KT. Doesnt your waist ache and feel like it needs all limbs to be pulled in South-East-West-North direction to ever feel right again?

Been to KB many times, semua naik belon!

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home