Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Will the Real Doctor Please Stand Up?

We had plans up the wazoo for the long wesak weekend. Topping the list was balik kampong followed by shopping.
But no, the plan was not meant to be. For God had other plans for me.

The Sun MUST choose that weekend to be down with fever (his first really ~ he is 6 months old). He had terrible cough too, so bad I could hear the phlegm gargling down his throat. And how he fussed! He could not feed well, could not sleep well and I was so afraid to rest too, in case his temperature went up too high while I was sleeping. The next day, we took him to a clinic.

He has fever-cough-cold’ was my complaint.
He has fever-cough-cold’ was the doctor’s verdict. Right, Sherlock.
He was prescribed paracetamol and cough-cold syrup. As we were about to leave her room, she stopped us.
Do you think I should give him antibiotics too?’ Uh? You asking me?
I dunno. What do you think doctor?’ I had absolutely no idea. Dot was prescribed antibiotics by her paediatrician only after she turned one. The paed said, babies should be allowed to develop their own disease-fighting system.
I am not sure lah. Macamana ya? nak bagi ke tak? (pondering...) Never mind. Doktor bagi lah. You give him once in the morning and once at night. Okay?
You sure doctor?’ Hey, you are the doctor here, hello.
Tak pe lah. Kita bagi dia’ Well, okay…
Eh, doktor bagi ubat yang masuk dekat bottom dia jugak lah boleh? Kalau his temperature naik sangat, masukkan lah’ she added.
Mama dia pon nak demam tu,’ the smiling doctor could sense my body temperature from a metre away. I must be such a hottie.
She scribbled something unfathomable on Sun’s card and we were shown the way out.
What was that all about?’ Yamtuan was concerned, and so was I.
'Is she for real?' we hope so, REALLY.

At the dispensary, the nurse gave us all the medicines.
For the paracetamol, ‘bagi 2ml bila perlu ya, atau setiap 6 jam’.
For the antibiotics (augmentin no less!), ‘yang ni bagi 2ml, tiga kali sehari, kena habiskan ya’ (but I thought doctor said twice a day?)
For the cough syrup, ‘2ml 3 kali sehari’
And for the little wax bullets, ‘Hisap bila perlu.’ (excuse me? I thought this one to be inserted in the baby’s toilet? How to suck? While it is being inserted?)

We left the clinic absolutely bedazzled.

We reached home, administered the medicines (not as directed) and I crashed while Yamtuan promised to look after the children. When I woke up, I had a temperature myself, just like the doctor predicted. We decided then that she wasn’t really a doctor; she was shaman, a fortune teller.

I was really sick, so sick until, 'muka nampak baik' said Yamtuan (to this my eyebrow raised a few centi-inches but i was too sick to 'memulakan permusuhan', i let it slide ~ for now).

And so the weekend was gone.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

kesian, and here we were hounding you. Hope you are better. we thought we'd come and jaga yr site while you were away, siram pokok bunga, bagi makan ayam itik. welcome back. now i can go to sleep.

9:19 PM  
Blogger atenah said...

baby tu for the immunization jgn kasi 3 sekali, not a good idea, I'm talking abt the measles, mump & rubella shot.

hope u r better.

eh you ni bini yam tuan ye, wow :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Thanks, kami semua dah ok dah. Omak eh dah masuk opis dah. Anak eh dah poie sekolah.

Posting yang kali ni adalah semata-mata untuk merayu undi.

joe eh salah, atenah,
nanti i check with the paed pasal the shots.

yes, i lah sebenarnya yam puan. clap clap clap

10:59 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

must add, yam puan besar

thunderous clap clap clap

11:01 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Dah baik dah? Kalau dah boleh taip entry tu nama nya baik lah no.

Lain kali kalau demam prescribtionnya ialah :
Bloghop 3 jam sekali
Minum air 8 gelas sehari.

OK?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

salah tu auntyN, ni dia prescription yang betoi:
Bloghop tiga kali sejam,
blog update dua hari sekali
komen di tempat-tempat yang perlu,
mboih tujuh kali
buat macam ni sampai sembuh, lepas tu double the dosage.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Hajar said...

like my good friend always say, "i don't trust doctors nowadays..."
i shall blog about my experience with this one particular doctor...

btw, thanks for dropping by my blog.. ;-)

2:38 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

yampuan (must I add "Ampun puan ku?")..

glad to hear that all are up and about! that dispensary nurse ought to be jailed; some less knowledgeable people could've followed her instructions!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Sorry to hear that Ood! Hope everyone's feeling better now.
all the best

4:23 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

Kak Teh & Auntie N should be jailed too for practicing dukunhood without licence.

Feeling much much better today. Thank you.

7:33 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Betui, Kak teh betui. Saya mengaji bab tu tak luluih lagi ni. hehehe

9:06 PM  
Blogger MA said...

Hi Ood,

This one great blog ! Love your humour (esp tang kelentong tuh - I like !)

Abt doctor quacks tu, tell me about it. My dotter almost mis-diagnosed. Nasib baik I ni jenis kick ass - and demanded second opinion from a paed. And she had the emergency surgery the same nite.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home