Thursday, June 29, 2006

HANG PHONE

I was without handphone for a few days last week. I sold my phone to a taxi driver. Yes.

It was a cheapo Nokia 6060 – a basic phone without camera or MP3 or Bluetooth or videocam or toaster. It could make calls and smses though.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingIt was considerably almost brand new still, only a couple of months old. I sold it because I hated it.

How could I not hate the phone? Two days after I bought the phone, the flip went loose. I wouldn’t mind it so much if it weren’t for it rejecting incoming calls – because of the loose flip you see. Contrary to popular belief, I do get important calls too. Like calls from my neighbour offering me some odorless belachan fresh from Sabah (what is belachan without the odor?) or the call from my tailor wanting to know where I would prefer the pleats of my kain baju kurung to be, left or right (difficult question this one) or the most important one, from Yamtuan telling me about the kayu drivers hogging his way or the stooooopid traffic jam at-this-hour-can-you-bloomin-believe-it (I don’t drive so I couldn’t quite relate to traffic jam issues). I am an important person, this I insist. I need to be in-touch with the world. Communication is key. Technology is all that matters. One NEEDS handphone. Your world stops revolving if you can’t be reached. Must have. Necessity. As important as food, sleep and lipsticks.

And so I went back to see the guy at OUG plaza.

He insisted that it must be me. Being the ogre that I was – not exactly delicate – I must have either dropped the phone or over-bend it or something. He swore he had never seen a new phone so damaged so quick, the poor phone must have been severely abused and mishandled. What did you do to it? Unbelievable! It was unforgivable and cruel and no ma’am, we cant do anything. No-no.

Go repair, I said.
Irreparable, he said.
The only way to fix it is by changing the casing, but since the model is so new, NOKIA doesn’t have the spares out yet and a new casing would cost more than 200 (and he didn’t mean 200 rupees), he said.
Okay, trade in, I said.
But the phone is damaged, if I buy back from you I wont be able to sell back, he argued intelligently.
He said. I said. He said. I said. He said. I said.
In the end, he offered to give me RM150 for it out of charity and obligation. And I had to say no, because the phone was so very new.

And so I lived with the stooooopid phone for about two months. I tried asking other shops, they all said the same thing. Irreparable damage, would be too costly to repair. The only difference is that they wouldn’t take the phone, even if I pay them to.
Sad.

And then, suddenly this taxi driver offered to buy the phone from me even after I told him of its sad history and bleak future. He insisted that he must have the phone. He offered RM50 extra than what the guy at OUG would pay me. RM200 is not bad at all for a worthless phone. I showed him the problem and he still said he wanted it. I gave him my phone number and asked him to sleep on it. And for two weeks he kept sms-ing me saying please don’t sell the phone to anyone else lah, he’s ready with the money lah, all sort of almost pleading smses. It made me wonder, what possibly could he know about the phone that I didn’t know. Why? And I wondered.

And so we made appointments to meet. He gave me RM200 and I gave him the phone. One side jual, one side beli. Akad jual beli complete. Either I am a super-salesman or he’s on to something. Never mind. The phone has changed hands! Yey! The black that marred my life is removed!

And so I was without handphone. I figured, I have spent almost my entire life without handphone and I did not bad on my own. I decided I wanted to go au naturel again, devoid of technology. Konon, you said. Konon, I said too.

I am proud to say that I survived unhurt without handphone for 4 days!!!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i thought i've offended you when i sms u last week saying " you made me miss you all over again with that picture of your silhouette..."

p.s. u still have my hp no i hope

-kj-

7:14 PM  
Blogger nae said...

Great! I just survived 1 1/2 days

11:18 PM  
Blogger I_mshe said...

never really had that experience. but i am aware flip phones would have that kinda problem.

So congrats for the 4 days .. may more days to come?

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno if i ever survive 4 days without my hp.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wa mati if no hangpon for 4 days! dey madam, do go get one le...that's whylah I never buy those flippy thingies. Poor you, how much did it cost you? In UK, if you go by pay monthly scheme, you get the most canggih phone for free. Nope, You can't guitar smash me as I am not on msn...hahahaha

11:32 AM  
Blogger dith said...

Ood,

Handphones are actually part of a global conspiracy! All my kids have handphones except one (I hope I can convince this one to stay without one till she's much older!!) When conversations about handphones pop up, I'd start nagging them and ask them, "how come youngsters of 20 yrs ago survived wihtout handphones and managed to live a fine life after all?"

Like you, I can go au natural too. The only reason I keep one (yes, a simple one without a toaster too!!) is people get irritated when they can't contact me but never the reverse!! hehe

So ood, may you persevere and never succumb to the evils of the techie world!!

p.s. Ood, I believe that ~kj~ comment is self-written? hahah (Yamtuan mana? hehe)

5:23 PM  
Blogger hana_kirana said...

eh misteri nusantara la driver teksi tu. apesal dia beriya sangat? apesal? apesal?

11:52 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

kj,
why would i be offended? I only take offence because we havent met for so long!

Nae!
wooooohoooooo for you! High five!

sushi,
NEVER buy NOKIA's flip phones. Ever.
err... i ahhh uh errrr bought a new phone on the fifth day?

wtl,
but we did fine before their invasion! Remember those days when you queued to use the public phone? Or the old glory days when your boss couldnt call you after office hours?

*guitar smash! guitar smash*
pajak phone is an interesting concept. Vodafone suda masuk malaysia, maybe the pajak concept will too soon. The stooopid nokia was cheapo but still duit kan? cant remember how much, between 4 to 5 ratus kot. Bad bad investment..

Dr House,
i totally agree with you BIG time. Dulu masa kat uni, takde phone, pegi kelas macam biasa ok je. Kids now must have handphones, easy to harasss the lecturer, easy for lecturers to inform them on cancellations la whatnot. Never mind uni, sekolah pon nak ada handphone. In case of emergencies kononnya. BUt when we were kids, emergencies happened too. Teachers can always call the parent's land line! Why is it now SO important i also dont know.

Uh, i have succumbed to the evil of techcula.. Yamtuan cannot tahan cannot contact me! It's HIM!

and halo, KJ is a real flesh-blood person. Bukan self written! hehehehe.... KJ, pergi bentes kaki Dr House!

Hana KIrana,
it must be my sales-skills la. Baru tolong member jual pda for 900. Dia beli 1000. Yeah babe, I am GOOOOOOOOOD! Hehehe...

6:37 PM  
Blogger dith said...

KJ- PM's fave Son In Law????

4:37 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Dr House,
heeheehawhawhaw..
i thought THAT kj is dating Maya Karin? Not this Maya Tak Kering. You are very imaginative. I promise you my kj is female the last time i check lah.

KJ, do something!!!!

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear dear Doctor House…..Ood is telling the truth. I am a “real flesh-blood female” and the k stands for KAK.
I’m sorry if my comment made your mind wanders. Did I sound “male” to you???? Than…I MUST go train to write like a female do ya??!!
Nasib baik Ood is not Siti or Erra…kalau tidak dah lama my statement jadi “talk of the press”. HAHAHA!!!


I do miss you M….Please keep your postings coming ok?! They are my dose of sunshine…my painkillers.

-kj-

7:05 PM  
Blogger AuntieYan said...

So, bila nak beli yg. baru?.Auntie guna phone jenis tok kadok...:-) janji boleh terima call, boleh buat call boleh bertukar SMS...ada jugak cadang nak beli hak canggih-canggih...tapi duitnya pulak le....

7:57 PM  
Blogger Arena said...

Salam..

first time here.. My handphone kecik sket dari yang baling dekat anjing tu. Enough for me, to make and receive call and sms. Bought a canggih one, early this year, tapi suka sangat nak terpasang lagu sendiri, lepas tu tak boleh nak tutup, always happened when I'm in the bank and in a meeting. Arghh.. sold the phone, kebas my hubby punya phone. And vow never to beli canggih2 phone..unless..hehhehhe orang bagi..

12:24 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

KJ, hehehe... thank you. Dr House, SEE?

auntieyan,
dah ada phone dah, cheap cheap onni. Pakai timbang kati je. Jenis pakai-buang punya.

irfan bro,
i dah pakai dah moto flip bagak tu. Very sturdy that one. Baling anjing boleh mati wo. That was the second phone after Primero yang macam water tumbler tu. I am waiting for the invention of phone small enough to the size of susuk boleh implan terus into the ears. Sure tak hilang punya.

5:56 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

arena,
betul. You already have a camera and maybe a videocam, why need a phone that comes with camera and videocam? And you have that big diary cum planner and calculator and game boy and laptop, why must your phone come equipped with those things too? Redundance, i say!

And uh, arena,it is easier and cheaper to maim dogs with batubata than with handphones. I know, i have tried.

6:09 PM  
Blogger noha chomel said...

kak ood,

rindu dgn u, bila nak update??

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home